Founded in 1989, Thandanani Children’s Foundation is a registered non-profit organisation that facilitates community based care and support for orphans and other vulnerable children (particularly those affected and infected by HIV/Aids) in the KwaZulu-Natal Midlands (South Africa).
We have a well-established system of community based care and support for orphans and other vulnerable children (and their families) that involves capacitating and supporting community based Fieldworker teams to respond to the basic material, physical, cognitive and emotional needs of orphans and vulnerable children (OVC) within their communities.
In brief, we do this by engaging and training residents from the communities in which we work to identify and address the basic needs of families caring for orphans and other vulnerable children in their communities. With the support of Thandanani staff, these Fieldworkers then address the basic material, physical, cognitive and emotional needs of OVC households in their community by:
- Identifying indigent families caring for orphans and other vulnerable children in their communities
- Working with Thandanani’s Social Workers and the extended family to identify and place an adult caregiver in the household if needed.
- Conducting regular home visits to monitor and support these families
- Providing emergency assistance to those families in dire need.
- Facilitating access to birth certificates and identity documents
- Facilitating access to relevant state grants
- Facilitating the establishment & maintenance of household food gardens
- Facilitating access to community based self-help / micro finance groups
- Facilitating access to school fee remissions
- Accessing (via Thandanani) and distributing school uniform items to OVC’s.
- Conducting regular school visits to monitor the attendance and performance of OVC’s in their care
- Facilitating Home Based Early Childhood Development programs for Caregivers of children under 5
- Undertaking health assessments & education, voluntary counselling & testing and treatment adherence monitoring
- Monitoring the health of family members during home visits and facilitating OVC and caregiver access to local primary health care facilities whenever necessary
- Facilitating OVC & caregiver access to professional welfare services and counselling provided by Thandanani
- Facilitating community based Life-skill programmes for teenagers and support groups for Caregivers & and younger Children